RIoT is seeking qualified candidates to join the RIoT team in a number of different areas of need. At least one hire will be based from our Wilson office at the Gig East Exchange. Other positions can be remote, but favor is given to in-person work at our Raleigh or Wilson offices.
Candidates should have exceptional oral and written communication skills, ability to coordinate and develop engaging content on emerging technology topics, and comfort with operationalizing events and teaching educational programs. You should be a ‘people person’ with great customer service skills and the ability to moderate online and offline conversations with a diverse ecosystem of stakeholders (including corporate partners, public sector collaborators, entrepreneurs, and technology professionals). Relationship building and maintenance is a major component of this position.
An ideal candidate is energetic and creative, able to “connect the dots” among the various RIoT programs and services, and the stakeholders in our network. Candidates should be able to describe their experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Project definition, management and execution
- Business development and sales or P/L responsibility
- Individual and/or corporate leadership, mentoring and advising
- Proposal and grant writing experience
- Audience-building, outreach, engagement, convening and trust-building
- Experience in hardware or software development and integration
RIoT is an economic development-enabling organization focused on community ecosystem building, job creation, professional network building, and startup acceleration at the forefront of emerging technologies. RIoT leads the largest Internet of Things-focused economic development ecosystem in the US with more than 90 engaged corporate sponsors, university partners, and government practitioners. Through nationwide events, RIoT convenes and connects companies to Data Economy opportunities. RIoT has a proven track record of success mentoring and supporting startup companies through the RIoT Accelerator Program (RAP). RIoT works with a number of local governments on economic and smart city development projects.
Event Planning and Management in Wilson, NC:
- Organize, launch, and participate in a variety of RIoT events with the objective of building community and boosting brand awareness
- Work closely with the Gig East team, key stakeholders, and Wilson residents to build bridges across government, businesses, and community members
- Teach RIoT-developed courses and workshops
- Conduct community outreach to encourage event participation across all demographic sectors in the region
- Develop stable, repeatable processes to drive operational efficiency
- Coordinate and host on-site meetings for RIoT staff and visitors at the Gig East Exchange
Teaching & Mentoring, Advising & Consulting in Smart Cities:
- Work with municipal government to understand needs and priorities
- Scout technologies and solutions from the corporate and startup populations
- Liaise and develop public-private partnerships
- Help establish and run smart city pilot projects
- Support grant-writing and attraction of funds
- Moderate and facilitate multi-jurisdictional collaboration
- Execute contests, hackathons, reverse pitch events and other programs to solicit and build new solutions.
Business Development and Sponsor Engagement:
- Support networking and ecosystem building; connecting regional entrepreneurs and businesses to technology partners, sources of capital, expert mentors, and business opportunities
- Secure collaborative partnerships with small business, entrepreneurial support organizations, corporates, higher education institutions, local government, and local businesses to work towards shared goals in the region and beyond
- Maintain existing sponsor relationships, leading to annual renewal and year over year growth of engagement
- Field inbound inquiries about RIoT and conduct outbound community building via events, conferences and other networking.
- Work directly with sponsors to understand their needs and connect them to the greater RIoT ecosystem via targeted introductions and facilitation of initial meetings.
- Plan and execute recruiting activities for pipelining new IoT startups into RAP, including info sessions, digital marketing, attending local events and networking with entrepreneurs.
Municipal Government Relationships:
- Work closely with economic development, IT, communications and other divisions of local government.
- Help secure public-private partnerships
- Seek out and apply for grant funding and manage grant administration
- Support storytelling through 3rd party events and conferences
- Build new relationships and grow existing partnerships
Preferred Candidates Have:
- Experience launching community initiatives
- Experience mentoring and educating startups, or equivalent general business experience that allows them to impart wisdom and make connections for entrepreneurs
- A deep network of technical and business relationships across multiple industry sectors
- Ability to identify and track relevant community outreach
- Ability to support sales and solicitation of new sponsorships and design creative new partnerships to advance RIoT’s goals
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Exceptional organization and efficiency skills
- Ability to anticipate what needs to be completed ahead of time
- IoT technical competence is not required, but it is expected that the candidate will be able to develop skills in speaking intelligently on the topic over time
- Digital communications and enterprise software experience
Salary: Based on experience
Health benefits: Yes
Vacation/Sick Leave: Yes
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com with subject line “RIoT Wilson Lead”.